Student Spotlight: Amanda Crawford

Lamar Boone March 23, 2012 Comments Off

Amanda Crawford is a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Political Science and History. She supplements her studies through her involvement in various organizations across campus. As a member of the Sigma Kappa Sorority, the president of the Panhellenic Council (the programming board for all 21 sororities on campus), and the Marketing Director of The Daily Targum, Amanda keeps herself motivated to move towards her dream job of becoming an attorney.

Amanda Crawford (fourth from top left) among other Panhellenic Presidents

She will be attending Villanova Law School in the fall and she hopes to be a same-sex divorce attorney in New York City in five years. Amanda also interned as an Eagleton Undergraduate Associate with the Office of Press and Communication for the Governor of New Jersey. She worked as a New Media intern and worked with social media branding for Governor Chris Christie.

Keeping herself busy, Amanda says that she would not have it any other way. “My experiences have stretched across many different organizations and I have gotten to work with a large array of absolutely amazing people,” she says. “It’s consistently exciting and I learn something new every day.”

Amanda with Gov. Chris Christie at her internship with Office of Press and Communication

As Marketing Director for The Daily Targum she manages the retail and University sales team as well as the Classifieds department. “I have worked with the Targum since sophomore year and was selected to become the Marketing Director in summer 2011,” she says. Helping to create the marketing manual for this school year, she also worked with a small number of local companies who advertise in the school newspaper.

In addition to this, she works as the Panhellenic President with an executive board who consist of a cabinet of seven individuals who plan risk education, community enrichment, and philanthropy events. “Our executive board was chosen to give an anti-hazing presentation at Northeast Greek Leadership Association conference – so far the highlight of my career on Panhellenic,” she says.

Amanda (left) at Sigma Kappa event

Having gained leadership experience from Panhellenic by working with other Greek organizations across campus and spearheading The Daily Targum Marketing department, she believes that she has grown significantly as an individual throughout her college career. “I practice better time management and have learned how to work effectively with people of different backgrounds,” she says. “If I hadn’t been so involved, I don’t feel that I would have been prepared to go to law school and eventually into my career.”

Amanda (right) at Greek recruitment event

She advises students to pursue their interests across campus and to “never say no to anything!  Just go to one meeting of an organization you find interesting, you might wind up being in it for the rest of your college career.”