A Passion in Beauty

Lamar Boone March 2, 2012 Comments Off

Pursuing your passions while studying as a full-time college student can be overwhelming. Speak with anyone who has already landed their dream job and they will all tell you, “You can do it if you want it bad enough. Just believe in yourself and follow your dreams. If you work towards it, you’ll get it.”

It sounds almost too good to be true, and most of the time it is. They fail to tell you about the struggles they endured and what conflicts they encountered. They forget to mention how they had to balanced their passion with their responsibilities. People assume that they probably had a little help from luck in order to get where they are today.

Well, an ambitious student at Rutgers University strives to prove that generalized assumption wrong every day. Following a career path towards her dream job while pursuing a college degree as a full time student, Jasmin Rahman hopes to become a professional beauty consultant or make-up artist in the future.

With a major in public health and psychology, Jasmin manages to go to all her classes and fulfill her duties as the Vice President of the Bengali Students Association while also attending fashion shows in New York City to do makeup for various runway models.

Ever since she was thirteen years old,  Jasmin felt that she was connected to her creative talents when she was doing makeup for her family and friends. Although she didn’t think much of it while growing up, she realized her potential in the Beauty Fashion industry when she worked as a Beauty Advisor in the cosmetics department at Macys in Deptford, New Jersey.

“There is something alluring about the power of being able to make women feel beautiful and confident,” she said. “I formed a connection with every woman who sat in my chair. That gave me the drive to expand my horizons.”

Starting January of 2011, Jasmin started freelancing on her own as an upcoming makeup artist. Using her communication and networking skills, acquired from her education at Rutgers and her freelancing experiences, she aspires to relate her passion to the public health field.

Jasmin recently worked as a backstage makeup artist for the Miss New York USA pageant and the Small Boutique Fashion Week in New York – both of which are great opportunities for upcoming artists.

“Every time I’m done with a job I evaluate my work in pictures and see what I could have done better,” Jasmin said.

Realizing that personal growth is essential in all her pursuits, Jasmin learns how to efficiently manage her time and develops her ability to multi-task when put under the pressures of time constraints. When it comes to harmonizing school work and her passion, Jasmin balances her priorities by working her gigs around her academic schedule.

“In the fast-paced environment that my job and my studies create, I split up my time so that I can work on one thing at a time,” she said. “But school is and always will be my top priority.”

With her biggest supporters being her mother and her close friends, they are her constant cheerleaders and fans through this uphill climb.

She advises students to pursue their goals, but keep education a priority. “I believe that you perform best in a job that you love and you should always do what makes you happy. But you also need an education because no mater what you can always fall back on your degree. You need that safety net.”

“I have had several conflicts, where I have had to deny some work opportunities for school, family, or other priorities,” she said. “I find myself having to be more selective about the work I take on, but at the same time I am trying to get as many jobs as I possibly can.”

Having struggled and faced many conflicts before landing actual opportunities, Jasmin remains persistent upon achieving her dreams. Her biggest struggle, she says, has been working her way up and trying to get her name out.

“Trying to find new avenues to opportunities and ways to networking is the hardest of all,” she said. “But when you start small, those are the kind of things you struggle with – but it all works out in the end.”

On Location MUA Assignment

She hopes to have her work published as she works her way up within the industry,  potentially doing business with celebrities and top designers for runway and print.

Trying to make the best of every situation she faces, she believes that the pressure of making her dream come true rests solely on her shoulders and she plans on carrying her goals out the whole way through.

Visit her website or Facebook page for more information!

By: Pooja Chaudhary